Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) is aimed to treat or prevent high blood pressure. It encourages to lower the consumption of sodium and boost the variety of foods rich in nutrients, such as potassium, calcium, and magnetism. Systolic blood pressure is able to drop by 8 to 24 points, which can make significant changes in your health risks.
Benefits of the DASH diet
As the DASH diet is a healthy way of eating, it provides not only adequate hypertension and many other health benefits as well. Doctors recommend this diet to prevent osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. The DASH diet is not a weight-loss nutrition program, but there is a great possibility to lose weight as making healthier food choices will lead to consumption of fewer calories.
What to Eat
- Grains: braid, cereal, rice, pasta, etc.
- Vegetables: tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, greens, etc.
- Low fat or fat-free dairy: milk, yogurt, cheese, etc.
- Lean meat, poultry, and fish
- Nuts, seeds, and legumes: almonds, sunflower seeds, kidney beans, peas, lentils, etc.
- Fats and oils
- Low fat or fat-free sweets: sorbets, fruit juice, jelly beans, hard candy, graham crackers, etc.
What to Avoid
- High sugar products
- High -fat products
- High salt products
- Sauces and gravies
- Prepackages pasta and rice dishes
- Candy and cookies
- Meat dishes