Gastric Cancer

Gastric Cancer, or Stomach Cancer, is identified with cancer cells forming the inner lining of a human stomach, developing into a tumor. Gastric Cancer usually advances slowly, so it is easier to treat when it is diagnosed at the early stages of development. According to the latest statistics, the lifetime risk of developing gastric cancer equals 0.8 %. In 2018 estimated new cases raised to 26,240 people and estimated deaths corresponds to 1.50%. The median age at diagnosis is 68 y. o., when the median age of deaths equals to 71 y. o.

Causes of Gastric cancer

Doctors cannot identify what exactly causes the cancer cells to grow in the stomach. Anyways, the risk of obtaining gastric cancer raises because of the following factors:

  • Smoking
  • Exposure to asbestos
  • Obesity or being overweight
  • Eating too much smocked, pickled, or salty foods
  • Stomach surgery for an ulcer

Symptoms of Gastric cancer: Early stages

  • Indigestion
  • Heartburn
  • Slight nausea
  • Loss of appetite

Symptoms of Gastric cancer: later stages

  • Vomiting
  • Yellowish skin or eyes
  • Heartburn
  • Stomach pain
  • Losing weight
  • Tiredness and weakness
  • Diarrhea

Is gastric cancer genetic?

If somebody from your family suffered from gastric cancer, there is a possibility of carrying the same gene mutation that is responsible for causing gastric cancer. Mostly, it is associated with the gene CDH1 mutation that causes 40% of gastric cancer cases, leaving other 60% for other genes that may affect the condition susceptibility.

Should I get tested?

It is always advisable to take the genetic test to calculate your risks of obtaining the disease, especially if it is common in your family tree. Knowing about the existence of the gene mutation beforehand will lead to taking steps of cutting the chances or completely preventing the development of the condition. Changing your daily habits and diet may considerably lower your chances of acquiring the disease in the future.

Still have questions?